Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Maccabees / Noisettes/ Bloc Party 6-11-7 @ Uptown Theatre

Bloc Party

I'm generally not one to get to concerts early but it was a good thing I did for this one because the Goonies er.... Maccabees hit the stage promptly at 7:30, ripped through their 10+ song set and were gone by 8pm which is still half an hour before I originally was planning on getting there. And no - they didn't get chased off the stage by the Fratelli's - but by another rocking brit band - The Noisette's.

Sean Astin and drummer Josh Brolin of the Maccabees, Sean Astin as Mikey in The Goonies:




The Maccabees - First Love.mp3
The Fratellis - Baby Fratelli.mp3

I don't really have enough good things to say about The Noisettes. Their music is just a little too rocking to find a regular place in my rotation but given the right situation, say scoring A.J. Soprano's BMW M3 in Sunday night's final episode of the Sopranos, The Noisettes' energy can be very compelling.

The Noisettes - Scratch Your Name.mp3


Just before Bloc Party took the stage, two fratster's! rudely came shoving through the crowd and parked directly in front of my friend and I. As my friend cocked his right fist back ready to serve a proper brit style hooligan beatdown, the offenders turned around and like the well-groomed English gents they actually were, explained that they had come from Liverpool and were following Bloc Party around the states...15th show or something...also did this for Kasabian...Muse...They hate Keane...blah blah tea, crumpets...

We told them we were from Lawrence and they mentioned they were big fans of The New Amsterdams so all controversy was averted. As Bloc Party took the stage, I wished them well and in the traditional British style of greeting, they heaved their half empty 10$ beers at the stage. The British fratsters then gathered up their groupies' groupies and moved forward. In the end, I was glad to be standing behind them.



Bloc Party played a good set - heavy on Silent Alarm. The crowd went pretty ape shit over "Banquet," and their first set closer "Like Eating Glass." I was a little disappointed over their performance of "The Prayer," which I really expected to be a banger live but it didn't deliver.

No comments: